I am moving to São Paulo.
I would say that I have never moved to a city knowing so little about it, but seven years ago I moved to Charlotte because I thought it was Charleston.
Things I know about São Paulo:
- It is the largest city in the southern hemisphere.
- It is not the capital of Brazil.
- It is made of many neighborhoods and we will probably live in Vila Madalena or Pinheiros, both referred to as the “Brooklyn” of São Paulo.
- There is actually a neighborhood in São Paulo called Brooklin but it is not the “Brooklyn” of São Paulo.
- It is the third largest Italian city in the world outside of Rome and Milan.
- It has the largest Japanese population outside of Japan.
- It is home to a hella diverse food scene.
- The traffic is pretty bad.
- The weather is perfect enough that I will be able to figure out if I get sad every year because it’s cold and dreary (as I have suspected) or for other reasons (that I will entertain if needed after a year with a warm winter).
- We can probably afford a place with a balcony.
There is no point in making a list of things I don’t know about São Paulo.